Clash of the Tie(tans)

 Dare to Flare



I do not have what is considered "good taste" when it comes to traditional clothing etiquette. I am the child for whom Garanimals were invented. I did not understand pattern segregation. I believed that checks and stripes should be allowed to commingle. Garanimals explained it in a way that my young mind could grasp. As a perennial Tarzan fan I fully knew the perils of mixing monkeys with lions.

Imagine my sense of liberation when I graduated from the children's department and my animal guides were gone! As an adult I had free reign to choose my own path. It was a responsibility worthy of Spider-Man, one which I was anxious to explore.

I quickly learned that the friendly jungle mascots of my youth were to be replaced by the gatekeeping tyrants of Fashion (with a capital F). The first time I stepped outside my apartment wearing plaid pants and a striped shirt the locals threw rocks. It didn't matter that the same colors were used in both patterns. I didn't appreciate having things thrown at me, so I grabbed a copy of GQ Magazine and learned what had been declared acceptable.

My rebellion started when I got my first professional job. I learned that a man's tie could be a form of personal expression. People might still comment if they felt there was a "clash" between my shirt and tie, but it was usually couched in tones of helpful education.

The spoke slowly, using small words.

I smiled and ignored them. I still do.

I love the look of a paisley tie resting against a floral shirt, or stripes on a tie going in the opposite direction of the stripes on the shirt. In my mind, if a color combination can be found in nature, it's pre-approved for my wardrobe (thank you tropical fish aquarium of my childhood).


Comments

Popular Posts