Letting Go

 Last Day


Yesterday was my last day of employment with the company I've been with for 24 years. The 80s and 90s taught me how to say goodbye to my chosen family members, so I feel like I've had the proper training for this.

Turn the page to a new chapter, or close the book. Either way, that story is finished and I am anxious to start writing the next one.

I had a good last day. In my first hour I was able to close out the last project of my career. I did not leave any unfinished business for someone else to pick up, as had been my goal from the start. After that the day was mostly filled with tidying up my files, sending reminders to co-workers, and receiving guests from other departments who wanted to wish me well in the future.

The most common question was, "Why don't you just continue to work for Company from New York?"

"That was my first suggestion," I answered every time. "But apparently there are complicated tax laws about living in New York but working for a company out of state."

No one questioned it beyond that, but eyebrows were uniformly furrowed.

That's all water under the bridge now. And what awaits me on the other side of that bridge is far more important to me than anything floating beneath it. We're not fully across the bridge yet, but we've started the journey.

In one month we're going to New York to look at properties. In an ideal world we will find our dream home, buy it, return to Ohio and sell our condo here, and be in our new place by Christmas. We know the real estate market can be slow and things might not go according to our desires, but in the interest of future manifestation, that's our plan: living in New York by Christmas.

Comments

Popular Posts